Sunday, July 11, 2010

Attitude ReInvention ... It's Up to YOU!

Good Sunday afternoon everyone.
I hope you are well and enjoying the beautiful Summer day wherever you are.

I started thinking today about how much most of us need to continuously "reinvent" our attitude .. sometimes from minute to minute, and certainly day to day. There are many circumstances that live out there in the world that can suck us down. How do we, instead, bounce, be resilient, reinvent the feeling along the way?

For many years, I was a psychotherapist. When I had a session with a client, I could always put my own feelings, issues, worries on the back burner, focus on the client and not even think about myself. That made me a good therapist. Well, in times like these, it's not always so easy to put myself and my "stuff" on the back burner.

REInvention is about tweaking, shifting ... changing. I often teach the principle that you can't feel bad and good at the very same moment. Think about it. When you're feeling bad, then you're feeling bad. When you're feeling good, then you're feeling good. And, you can choose (albeit difficult at times) to shift from one to the other. I prefer to shift from feeling bad to feeling good (but, hey, each to their own.)
In other words, you can reinvent your attitude .. in the moment, and shift.

Example: This morning, I was feeling a bit low. I've had some medication challenges recently and some side effects. I'm frustrated by it all and I'm a bit more moody then I like. However, I got a phone call from my son, telling me that he and his band were driving back to Austin in the wee hours this morning after a gig. A tire on their van blew, they swerved off the road. They saw some oil/gas on the road nearby and quickly got all of their instruments (and themselves) out of the van. And yup, you got it, the van burst into flames and completely consumed the vehicle. BUT, THEY ARE ALL SAFE!

My attitude immediately shifted from feeling low about myself to great gratitude for the safety of my son and his bandmates. My stuff was insignificant in that moment.

So, where can you look at your life now .. and reinvent how you feel about it? That's my challenge. We're seeing lots of tweaking of attitudes as teams contend in the World Cup games. We see it as people deal with difficult circumstances in these challenging times. We have to be responsible for our own tweaking.

Have a glorious Sunday.
Ann

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home