Monday, May 24, 2010

Some ReInvention Ramblings

Good Morning,
First, I would love to reinvent customer service today ... especially on the internet. Do you know how difficult it is to change a password on an account? They send you lots of directions, but first you have to remember your original password (which obviously I forgot) and then enter a new one. I went round and round for about a half hour, and of course there was no live person to communicate with. Somehow, I must have pushed the right button somewhere along the lines and voila .. a new password, finally! I would love for every company to REINVENT by having live, call in (as on the phone) help.

Second, I've been thinking more about why people are so afraid of reinvention. I often get asked if I could use a less threatening word. Well, my answer is no .. I'll not use a less scary word. Reinvention does not have to be scary. Let's talk more about this.

Here are a couple of questions:
1. Do you do the same thing everyday?
2. Do you drive (or walk or subway or bus) to work exactly the same way every day?
3. Do you ever change your hairstyle or makeup or way of dress?
4. Do you sometimes change your phone message?
5. Do you try new foods at restaurants?

You see, reinvention can be teeny, tiny .. little small steps. The word reinvent means to to remake or make over, as in a different form: example: At 60, he reinvented himself as a volunteer. Another definition: to bring back; revive: to reinvent trust and accountability.

It's all about perspective or perception. If you do something one way, can you look at it with a different lens and perhaps see another way to do it. Or can you pretend that you are viewing through someone else's lenses and see it from their viewpoint?

Today, I'm reinventing my relationship with food. I'm taking on looking at how I eat, what I eat, how often, how much. I'm going to reinvent this today, keep tabs on it, and tweak it each day until I find a new way of eating on a more regular basis. I know that what I have been doing hasn't been working, so it's time for a different perspective. I'm not calling it a diet because diets don't work (for me). I'm calling it a shift in perspective and some tweaks in behavior. That makes it less stressful and scary for me.

What can you reinvent today that might have a very positive influence on who you are, what you do, etc?

Enjoy taking on something new today, then tomorrow.
Remember the old saying, "you can't teach old dogs, new tricks?" Well, I'm an old dog, and I'm still teachable. How about you? All it takes is an ounce of willingness.

Happy Monday,
ann

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home